22.4.15

Slow and Steady

It's afternoon on Tuesday and I can't guarantee I will post this until tomorrow or maybe even Thursday. I have been procrastinating on a few things around the office. Not proposals or anything for my sweet clients, but more like, numbers, reports and the overwhelming steps towards the future of Foxglove and our "other" projects.



We are working slow and steady on our flower community growing project with our partner and friend Christine. Being a small business owner, it's hard to figure out the best way to expand and what is the most efficient way to expand financially. It's easy to let my heart take off with all of the things that I want to accomplish with Foxglove, all while ignoring that annoying voice that is very relevant, telling me to tread lightly and cautiously. Since we are still a young floral studio I am spending a lot of time this year educating myself on not only new floral design, but also the business side of things, which is half the battle.



Christine and I met a very nice man in Wisconsin not to far from Seth's lake house on Lake Geneva. He is an organic heirloom tomato farmer now, but has been a pilot and fireman and a business man previously. How we were lucky enough to meet this man I don't know. I feel like he is an angel. If not to everyone, at least to me. Christine and I have surrounded ourselves by some amazing people that want to help and support us in learning to grow and use our own flowers and though we can't jump in to the deep end as fast as we want, we have been given the opportunity to start this new project on the right foot. Bill, the angel, is knowledgable and has this will to mentor. I think what I am most excited about with him, is to have another farmer friend. It is such a small world, flower farmers, real food farmers, animals farmers, that it is exciting to meet and get to know these people that work so hard for such a great reward.


My grandma, if she read this, would probably think I was crazy for wanting to get my hands dirty. She grew up on a farm in IL with her 5 brothers and the stories she tells would keep you entertained for days. I am surprised they all made it off that farm with all their fingers and toes and lives...

Regardless, I look forward to sharing this journey with you as it unfolds. It will be a slow walk, but steady and strong. If anyone knows of a lot in the city that we should look into for flower growing, let us know! That is the step we are on at the moment. Finding the land in the city that would work for the project has been a bit of a challenge.


We were honored to be on a Style Me Pretty feature last week. We worked with such a great team of friends on this shoot and I hope to work with them again. It is inspiring to collaborate with other like minded people. I think that is why we try to do so many photo shoots.  It's a fun thing to do and allows for a different kind of creative space.



 I will share images from some past events when I get back from the Little Flower School workshop next week. That's the next big thing on my plate and I am so looking forward to going to a different area that's new to me. Inspiration nation with like minded people and new surroundings. We received a note today that it will be outside most of the time. It has been awhile since I was able to work with flowers out in nature. I haven't done much traveling lately and realized recently, that travel inspires the hell out of me. Hudson Valley is a gorgeous area and all kinds of creative companies are popping up around there. Hope there is a chance to explore the area a bit while I am there.

Also, look at June! Studio babe is getting so big, but even more, I kind of wanted to steal her outfit. That whole day she just rocked it. Seriously cool baby and excited for her and baby Bohn to get into trouble together.

This has been posted today, so at least I didn't procrastinate to much! Happy Earth Day, folks.









No comments:

Post a Comment